Staying balanced with healthy lifestyle changes can be a rocky trail ride; it can be easy to “fall off the wagon.” Keeping up with exercise, having healthy foods available, managing family, work, house etc takes an intricate balance of focus and planning; if something slips it’s easy to have it all fall apart. People tend to think that because my business is about fitness and health, I lead a perfect life of healthy behaviors. Not so! I have to juggle it all just like everyone else. I do have a disciplined personality which helps, and I have maintained a fairly healthy lifestyle for long enough to know I feel so much better, but even then, the pieces can easily slip.
I’ve been making some major changes in my business which has involved working extra hours in the evening all of which involve computer time. It’s not unusual for me to sit cross legged in a chair hunched over my lap top for 2-3 hours in the evening. To save time I’ve been doing 30 minute workouts, leaving out yoga and extended stretching, grabbing “healthy” protein bars, and not drinking enough water. Last week, I finally looked up from my lap top to realize I felt bloated and sluggish, my lower back and shoulder were hurting, my stomach was upset too often, I was more edgy because I hadn’t been meditating or journaling or getting in my personal development and my energy was down!
My health and wellbeing are important to me and I knew I had to make some changes. So I made a plan. Maybe this will help you too.
1) DRINK WATER- I keep a gallon jug of water in the refrigerator at home and work and plan to fill my 24 oz water bottle at least 4 times each day (and I will gauge that by making sure I drink one by mid morning, noon, afternoon and evening).
2) PROTEIN BARS – with my strength training, I know I need to get adequate protein and logistically I know I won’t eat chicken or eggs for a morning snack because my mornings client appts are scheduled closely and I need something I can eat a bite at a time. My protein bars are low sugar and high protein but they have soy lecithin and artificial sweeteners which, on a daily basis, is not a good thing to ingest! I made up a batch over the weekend and am ready to go!
3) INCREASE VEGGIES – Shakeology has been a lifesaver for me when it comes to nutrition but in no way negates the needs for fibrous vegetables and fruits in the diet. I need to get back to having more veggies during the day in addition to Shakeology at night. I’m making cabbage slaw, raw veggies/hummus, etc to have for snacks in addition to my salad at lunch or cooking up veggie soups/stews for lunch. MUST PLAN AHEAD this on the weekend.
4) BALANCE – All types of exercise can be effective if we push to our limit and have balance. I have not made the time to get at least a day of yoga in each week. My plan is to close down my lap top by no later than 9 pm, do 10 minutes of yoga, meditate 15 minutes, journal for 5-10 and read 10 pages of personal development. Those 3 things will probably be more effective in making the changes to my business than another 30 minutes of working.
5) PLAN – I know I can be more effective during the day if I have my to-do list and plan in place. Each day before I close down for the night (8:45 pm) I will go through and make a list of what I need to get done the next day in order to keep moving towards my goal. Following the list will keep me from multi-tasking as well; multitasking fries my brain!
Life can get overwhelming with all the demands we have but I need balance. I thrive on balance and need to get back to that. I’m a Libra…..the sign of the scales; balance. I’m already feeling better just knowing what needs to get done and having a plan.
If you’re in a rut, hopefully these healthy tips will help you gain control again. If you have questions don’t hesitate to reach out.
Be sure to “LIKE” us on Facebook for ongoing specials and promotions as well as great health and wellness tips.