Are you an “all or nothing” person?  When you start something new, do you go in full force or not at all?  When you aren’t perfect at your new endeavor, do you quit?

This kind of mentality is pretty common when we’re starting new goals.   This might sound familiar to you:

You decide you’re going to eat healthier and exercise.  Starting on a Monday, you cut back your portions, have a granola bar fro breakfast, grab a salad for lunch and have grilled chicken and veggies for dinner.  You get a workout in and you’re feeling good!

Tuesday comes and someone brings cookies to the office; you have one.  You feel tired in the afternoon so you grab a soda and you get home and can’t get your workout in because of other commitments.  FAIL 🙁  . . . you’re probably thinking.   You take a deep breath, sigh and scrap the rest of the week determined to start again on Monday. In the meantime, since you’ve blown it you can eat whatever right?

And you are still right in that same place you were when you decided to make some changes.

Let’s back up…….eating healthy doesn’t mean starving.  Have some scrambled eggs with your granola bar, take 10 almonds to have mid morning, enjoy your salad for lunch, have some yogurt in the afternoon and a balanced dinner.

So what, you had a cookie on Tuesday.  That is STILL ok when you’re on a healthy eating plan.    Here are some tips to keep you from feeling overwhelmed and failing.

 

  1. BE REALISTIC – start with small goals such as eating breakfast 3x/week, working out for 30 minutes 3x/week, have 1 cup more veggies than you usually do.  Making small changes helps you to see what you ARE doing and not how you goofed up. Once these little changes become habit, you can build on them.  It’ doesn’t have to be all or nothing.
  2. DIVIDE YOUR DAY INTO QUARTERS:   6am – 10 am;  11 – 3; 4-7;  8 – bedtime.   Ok you grab a cookie at morning break; that doesn’t mean your day is “blown.”  Start over and do better the next quarter.  Keep making decisions to take care of your health and recommit every few hours.
  3. WALK IN THE MIDDLE – be a middle of the road person.  You don’t have to always be on track or off track.  There isn’t “good” food and “bad” food.  It really isn’t all or nothing!  Just concentrate on making healthier choices and on exercising 80% of the time.  The other 20% is grace.
  4. BE POSITIVE – if you’ve had an “all or nothing” mindset most of your life, it isn’t going to change overnight.  Pay attention to the messages you tell yourself.  Do you believe you’re making good choices, do you believe you can make this change? Focus on what you’re doing consistently and well and let your thoughts center around those activities rather than the things you messed up on.

Be gentle with yourself.  You don’t have to be perfect, pushing hard all of the time.  If you make an unhealthy choice, no worries.  Don’t beat yourself up.  Just make a healthier decision the next time.

Accountability can help so don’t hesitate to call me; I’ll walk with your on this journey!

www.facebook.com/ChristieRyanFitness

785-827-3131